The Little Prince is the masterpiece of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and the best known around the world. Not only is it a beautiful story to entertain children and adults, but it also leaves us valuable teachings to put into practice in life.
Famous and thoughtful quotes from the Little Prince
As one of the most iconic stories for children and even adults, we bring in this article the best phrases and reflections of the Little Prince on life.
1. There may be millions of roses around the world, but you are my only and exclusive rose.
Each of us is unique and special.
2. The way to return so much love is to open your heart and let yourself be loved.
Love is paid for solely and exclusively with love.
3. When we love, we give ourselves without asking for anything in return, for the simple and pure pleasure of giving.
To love is to give love.
4. I thought I was rich with a unique flower and it turns out that I have nothing but an ordinary rose.
Sometimes we let ourselves be dazzled by appearance, rather than focusing on feelings.
5. The king above all wanted his authority to be respected. He did not tolerate disobedience. He was an absolute monarch.
Sometimes we want our will to be done because we have an authoritarian part.
6. I think to escape he took advantage of the migration of a flock of wild birds.
Very often we want to escape our problems.
7. All the big people have been children before. But few remember it.
It is always important to remember our childhood to be better adults.
8. The first love is loved more, the rest is loved better.
First love is never forgotten.
9. The flowers are weak. They are naïve. They defend themselves as best they can. They think they are terrible with their thorns…
Some people do not love each other because they do not accept themselves as they are.
10. I wonder if the stars light up so that one day, everyone can find their own.
We all have a way to go.
11. Walking in a straight line one cannot get very far.
To reach a goal, you have to overcome obstacles.
12. It is much more difficult to judge oneself than to judge others. If you manage to judge yourself well you are a true sage.
Acknowledging our mistakes and where we have failed is very difficult to do.
13. When one is very sad the sunsets are pleasant.
When we are down, what we are looking for is something that comforts us.
14. You are the master of your life and your emotions, never forget it. For better and for worse.
No one has responded in your life, only yourself.
15. I lived a lot with older people and have known them very closely, but this has not improved my opinion of them too much.
Older people don’t always learn from their mistakes.
16. Here is my secret, which could not be simpler: only with the heart can one see well; the essential is invisible to the eyes.
You have to see things with the eyes of the soul.
17. The time you lost for your rose makes your rose so important.
Sharing with loved ones is not a waste of time.
18. To want is to take possession of something, of someone.
Loving a person does not entitle us to want them to be our property.
19. We can only love what we know, because to love implies throwing ourselves into the void, entrusting life and soul.
Loving is a leap of faith.
20. Having a friend is a real privilege and if you forget about them you run the risk of becoming like older people who are only interested in numbers and numbers.
Friendship is an invaluable and necessary treasure for us.
21. And it turns out that the little prince, after having walked for a long time through the sand, stones and snow, ended up discovering the way. And all roads go to men.
Along the way we find ourselves as obstacles whether large or small, the important thing is always to move forward.
22. On the planet of the little prince there were, as on all planets, good herbs and weeds and, therefore, seeds of one and the other.
Everywhere we can find the same nature.
23. When the mystery is too impressive it is not possible to disobey.
We have that need to discover things we don’t know.
24. The little prince, who asked me many questions, never seemed to hear mine.
Some people only concentrate on their needs.
25. I own the stars because no one before me ever dreamed of owning them.
Pursue dreams that no one ever imagines fulfilling.
26. Thorns are useless; they are pure evil of flowers.
Some consider their flaws to be irreparable.
27. If you tame me, we will need each other.
If we get used to someone, then it will be difficult to separate.
28. Well! I admire you, but what is it for?
We should never be silent about what we feel about someone.
29. You just have to ask each one what each one can give.
Each person gives what they really can.
30. Men no longer have time to know anything; they buy ready-made things from merchants; but since there is no merchant of friends, men no longer have friends.
We live in a world where we don’t have time for the simple things that life offers us.
31. Sometimes you will open your window just for pleasure, and your friends will be amazed to see you laugh looking up at the sky.
Be happy, no matter what the reason.
32. He was but a fox like a hundred thousand others. But I made him my friend and now he is unique in the world.
Each person special to us is unique.
33. Only children crush their noses against glass.
Children can enjoy small things.
34. The beautiful thing about the desert is that anywhere it hides a well.
Even in difficult situations, we find something good.
35. You become forever responsible for what you have tamed.
Each act has its consequence.
36. I need to support two or three caterpillars if I want to meet the butterflies.
You have to go through different tests to get the results we are looking for.
37. If someone loves a flower of which there is only one specimen between millions and millions of stars, it is enough to make him happy when he looks at the stars.
When we want something impossible, we can only remember it with love.
38. It is sad to forget a friend. Not everyone has had one.
A true friend is irreplaceable.
39. Older people can never comprehend something on their own and it is very boring for children to have to give them explanations again and again.
As adults, the illusion is lost.
40. For the wise the stars are a matter of study and for my businessman, they were gold.
Each person sees situations differently.
41. It’s crazy to hate all roses because one pricked you. Give up all your dreams because one of them was not realized.
Not because we had a bad experience should we give up.
42. Men get into the rapids, but they don’t know where they are going or what they want. Then they shake and spin.
On many occasions, by going so fast we lose the way.
43. Older people like figures. When told about a new friend, they never ask about the essentials of it.
Many are more interested in material possessions than in the essence of people.
44. Words are a source of misunderstanding.
It’s very common to say things we don’t want to say.
45. I needed a long time to understand where I was coming from.
It’s hard to know where our conflicts come from.
46. But the seeds are invisible. They sleep in the secret of the earth until one of them comes up.
Our dreams are emerging little by little until they become reality.
47. When you find a diamond that belongs to no one, it is yours. When you find an island that belongs to no one, it’s yours. When you’re the first to have an idea, you make it patent: it’s yours.
Some things only belong to us and we cannot share them with anyone.
48. Mine perfumed my planet, but I was not able to rejoice in it.
There are times when love doesn’t last forever.
49. When you want to be ingenious, you lie a little.
It is normal to tend to exaggerate to show what we can do.
50. Only children know what they are looking for. They waste time with a rag doll that comes to be the most important thing for them and if they take it off, they cry.
When we grow up, we lose the ability to know what we want.
51. Men occupy very little place on Earth… Older people will not believe them, surely, because they always imagine that they occupy a lot of space.
There are times when we want to encompass much more than we can.
52. If you come, for example, at four o’clock in the afternoon, I will begin to be happy from three o’clock.
When we love someone, we are always happy to meet that person.
53. It was the time you spent with your rose that made it so important.
It doesn’t matter if it’s short or long, the timeshare remains in our memory.
54. It never occurs to them to ask, ‘What tone does your voice have? Which games do you prefer? Do you like to collect butterflies?’ But instead they ask, ‘How old are you? How many siblings? How much does it weigh? How much does his father earn?’ Only with these details do they think they know him.
The Little Prince shows us that we tend to look at the superficial aspects of people.
55. What I see here is nothing more than a crust. What is truly important is invisible.
The important thing about a person is his interior.
56. Indeed, on the planet of the little prince there was, as on all planets, good and weeds.
Everywhere there will be good and bad people.
57. You should never listen to flowers. They should only be contemplated and smelled.
Some things are made just to appreciate and contemplate.
58. The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they are felt with the heart.
Feelings like love, gratitude, and respect are impalpable, but they are very important in our lives.
59. To want is to look for in others that which fills personal expectations of affection, of companionship.
We are experts in looking for in others what we lack.
60. To me you are still nothing more than a little boy like a hundred thousand little boys. And I don’t need you. And you don’t need me either.
Children are often not taken into account.
61. It’s really useful because it’s cute.
Our talents have nothing to do with our beauty.
62. But I didn’t want me to see her cry. It was such a proud flower…
There is nothing wrong with expressing our feelings.
63. When you look at the sky, at night, as I will dwell in one of them, as I will laugh in one of them, it will be for you as if all the stars were laughing.
Memories have power.
64. We, who understand life, scoff at numbers.
Logic is not always right, sometimes we have to listen to our hearts.
65. I have always loved the desert. One can sit on a piece of sand. You don’t see anything. You don’t hear anything. And yet, something shines in the silence…
In the simplest things is where you find the most pleasure.
66. To want is to make our own what does not belong to us, it is to own or desire something to complete ourselves, because at some point we recognize ourselves as lacking.
We tend to have that feeling of possession over someone.
67. As for the beasts, I am not afraid of them: I have my claws.
Do not be intimidated by others, the important thing is to trust your talents.
68. Baobabs start out very small.
Baobabs are a species of large, strong trees.
69. I know a planet where a very red man lives, who has never smelled a flower, nor has he looked at a star and who has never loved anyone.
We must live in a way that we can engage with our loved ones.
70. Men?, The wind carries them, for they have no roots and not having them causes them bitterness.
Having values is the most important thing.
71. And when you have comforted yourself (one always ends up comforting yourself) you will be glad you met me.
Each person is there to teach us something special.
72. You will be for me unique in the world, I will be for you unique in the world…
The correspondence that matters most in a relationship.
73. To love is to desire the best for the other, even if they have very different motivations.
To love is to desire the happiness of the other person, even if he travels another path.
74. Go and look at the roses again. You will understand that yours is unique in the world.
Look inside and you will realize that you are courageous and unique.
75. If a lamb eats bushes, it will also eat the flowers, right?
To take the good times, it is also necessary to go through the bad ones.
76. I lead a monotonous life. I hunt chickens, men hunt me. All the chickens look alike, and all the men look alike.
Everyone has their monotony.
77. To be comfortable with yourself, you don’t have to be so serious.
It is necessary to take things with humor.
78. Authority relies first and foremost on reason.
Each citizen is responsible for electing his or her authorities.
79. No one is ever happy where they are.
People are often dissatisfied.
80. Whether volcanoes are extinct or awake is the same for us. The interesting thing is the volcano mountain and it never changes.
No matter the circumstances, life deserves to live to the fullest.
81. To the vain all other men are admirers.
The vain person thinks that everyone else revolves around him.
82. When in the morning one finishes grooming, one must carefully clean up the planet.
Just as personal grooming is important, so is the cleanliness of spaces.
83. It is a selfless feeling that is born in a giving, in giving oneself completely from the heart. Therefore, love will never be a cause of suffering.
If you truly love someone and give your best, then there is no room for pain.
84. If you order your people to throw themselves into the sea, the people will make revolution.
If you exert a great influence on others, they will end up doing what you ask.
85. I can judge myself anywhere and I have no need to live here.
When we judge ourselves, we learn to value ourselves.
86. He fell in love with its flowers and not its roots, and in autumn he did not know what to do.
When we fall in love only with the outside, at some point we suffer disappointments.
87. For some, those who travel, the stars are their guides.
Stars can be everything to someone.
88. When a person says that he has suffered out of love, he has actually suffered for wanting, not for loving.
Wanting and loving are not the same.
89. I drink to forget that I am a drunkard.
A total discordance.
90. One exposes oneself to crying a little, if one has allowed oneself to be tamed…
Never allow others to rule you.
91. The men of your planet, said the little prince, grow five thousand roses in the same garden… however, they do not find what they are looking for.
Possessions never replace an emotional need.
92. Flowers have been making thorns for millions of years.
Life has always given us good times and bad times.
93. No one believed him because of his way of dressing. Older people are like that.
A reference to the exaggerated importance we give to appearances.
94. If he really loves himself, he cannot suffer, for he has expected nothing of the other.
According to this book, love is just about giving without expecting anything from others.
95. And what good is it for you to own the stars? -It helps me to be rich. – And what good is it for you to be rich? -It helps me to buy more stars.
Greed is not a good way.
96. My drawing did not depict a hat. It depicted a boa snake digesting an elephant. I then drew the inside of the boa snake so that the older people could understand. These people always need explanations.
We don’t all see things in the same light.
97. Of course I love you. It’s my fault that you haven’t known all along.
We must always show our feelings.
98. I should have judged her by her actions and not by her words.
Actions always prove more than words.
99. Giving love does not exhaust love, on the contrary, it increases it.
Love is enlarged with more love.
100. Nothing in the universe remains the same if somewhere, it is not known where, a lamb we do not know has eaten, or not, a rose.
Some situations mark us for a lifetime.