The neck is like a bridge that connects your head with the entire body. It supports your head and consists of the spinal column.
The vertebrae in the spine are strong enough to take the weight of the head, yet its flexibility and elongated structure make it vulnerable to sudden pain if there is discomfort in the posture.
Pain in the neck can be very acute and disturbing if not attended to on time. The person feels uneasy and the head feels heavy resulting in diminishing the capacity to think and work properly. These are some ways in which you can relieve neck pain considerably.
- Keep a hot pack on the affected area. This will help in relaxing the muscles. It is good to take a hot shower, letting the warm water run down the troubled part, gently massaging and releasing the stiffness.
- A cold ice compress also works fine. This helps in cooling the spot and gives numbness that makes you forget the pain. Inflamed muscles can be soothed with an ice pack.
- The best way to relax neck pain is to lie flat on bed with a soft rolled cloth support under the neck. This helps in giving rest to the neck. Lying flat permits the spinal cord to rest against the mattress and ease out the discomfort of twist or stretch.
- When in pain, avoid lifting heavy stuff as it exerts pressure on the spine. We do not wish to further deteriorate the condition. So take it easy and do minimal work till the pain eases.
- A massage is a good way to encourage proper blood circulation. However, it needs to be done gently and carefully; else there are chances of the nerves and muscles getting tangled further causing more damage than good. A gentle massage in proper direction helps to entangle the nerves and relaxes the muscles.
- Chinese methods of acupuncture and acupressure are effective too. If the pressure is applied correctly on the pin-pointed spots of injury, it helps to relieve the pain considerably.
- Ever since mobile phones have come into existence, people feel that it is the best gadget to handle even while working. Many have the habit of resting the handset between the shoulder and ears by tilting the neck. They fail to realize that the long conversations take a toll on the neck causing sprain and discomfort. If you wish to speak hands-free then use headphones or Bluetooth device instead of troubling the neck.
- Water helps to keep the tissues and muscles hydrated and supple. Drink plenty of water so that there is enough lubrication and less stiffness in joints.
- Magnesium is a very crucial mineral that facilitates efficient contraction and relaxation of muscles. Try to incorporate foods rich in magnesium in your diet like whole grains, soy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. This mineral can be used topically as Magnesium Sulfate, commonly known as Epsom Salt. Dissolve Epsom salt in warm water in a tub and either soak your neck in the water for 15-20 minutes, allowing the magnesium to be absorbed by the body or keep a hot pack on the affected area.
- Take pain killers like ibuprofen, etc and use pain relieving sprays to treat the affected spot locally.
These simple steps will definitely help to ease out the neck pain. But if the discomfort persists, then visit a doctor.